martedì 18 marzo 2014

A LIFETIME ON A CHAIR ....CONFESSION OF A BEADMAKER

in questo disegno settecentesco di Giovanni  Grevembroch è ben descritto il lavoro della "Perlera" ,
all'epoca per la fiamma detta "lume" si usava il grasso animale detto "sevo" e per potenziare la fiamma un grosso mantice, non molto è cambiato da allora  !
in this 18th c. design by Giovanni Grevembroch you can see well how the workplace of a beadmaker a "Perlera" was at the time , the torch for the lampworking " alla lume" in venetian  fire used animal fat "sevo" in venetian and the flame was enpowered by a big bellow , not much has changed !

"Conseguense de 'na vecia perlera" ( consequences of a old beadmaker ) is the title in venetian dialect of Elda Giolo's  poem.
It tells the story of her lifetime in the beadmaker's chair but in reality is every artisan's story .There is a mix of sweet and sour memories in it that is rather moving , a devotion to the beads that justifies any sacrifies . She died in 2011 almost one century old ,  beadmaker and poetess , we are proud of her for having left this witness for us to enjoy .


" Conseguense de 'na vecia perlera" è il titolo in dialetto di questa poesia di Elda Giolo , una perlera e poetessa dialettale veneziana , morta nel 2011 quasi centenaria. Ha scritto molte poesie in dialetto , questa in particolare ci è stata segnalata da una fedele lettrice del nostro blog , Elena Giurati , che ringraziamo per la cortesia , dopo averla letta nel sito " In Venessian" .
E' dolce e triste ma anche ironica, si riconosceranno nelle rime di Elda Giolo tutti quelli che lavorano al lume le perle , ma anche tutti gli artigiani che come San Francesco insegna " lavorano con le mani e con il cuore "


"Sinquant'ani de lavoro i xe tanti 
e pensè che i gò fati sempre in guanti 
ghe tegno al decoro 
se no proprio no lavoro
saria andada anche in capeo 
ma no gò trovà el modeo ."

"Fifty years of work are many
and you must know I worked "in fine gloves "
as I care deeply for decorum
otherwise I would not work
I would have worked wearing a hat
but I did not find the proper style "

" Diese ani mi gavevo che me sò sentà in carega
ai setanta so pasada e so ancora là sentada 
'na lastra gò davanti 
che me varda tuti quanti
e i me crede in soasa 
come un quadro drento casa "

"I was ten years old when I first sat on that chair
seventy years have passed and I am still sitting there
the glass that shields me
through which people watch
as if I was in a picture frame
like a painting hanging on the wall in a house "

"E mie man xe tute roste 
rosse come aragoste 
basta un poca de insalata 
che la sena la xe fata
Tuto el gas che me respiro 
el me manda in delirio 
gò da esser inquinada 
o tre-quarti aveenada "

"The fire roasts my hands
as red as a lobster
I have time only to make a quick  salad
and that's my simple dinner
all the fumes that I breath
render me delirious
I must be polluted
and three quarters poisoned "

" Co i me varda che lavoro 
i me dise tuti in coro:
Mama mia che artista 
e intanto no gò più vista "

"When they watch me working
they say together as a chorus
"Mamma mia" look at that artist
but in the meanwhile I go blind "

"No ocore che me piega
gò xà la forma dea carega
ogni tanto 'na puntura
so un rotame adiritura ."

"I don't need to bend
I am already in the form of that chair
once in a while I get a shot
so stiff I am, I 'm almost broken "

"Ma che importa 'sto disagio 

so rivada a un bel miragio 
i me passa cavalier 
questo si che xe un piasser ."

But never mind the hardships
for I have seen a beautiful mirage
they honour me as "Cavalier"
and this pleases me !"


" I me dà 'na bea medagia 
da persona tanto sagia 
ma però mi no so gaia
gò firmà la me vechiaia
e no manca che cò sti sùori 
la me pension ghe resta a lori ." 

"They reward me with a nice medal
like I was a wise person
but I am not that happy
because this confirms my old age
but still I sweat at the flame
I could catch a cold that would be the death of me
and my pension would go to them "


Grazie Laura Sousounis for patiently translating the poem in english !







Nessun commento:

Posta un commento